Many users save files and folders on cloud storage instead of their hard drives. OneDrive, Google Drive, and DropBox are three of the biggest cloud storage providers that give users gigabytes of extra storage space. Users upload their files and folders to their storage space with browsers and cloud storage apps.
However, not all browsers support folder upload. Google Chrome was the first to support folder uploads, and in 2014 that remained the only browser users could upload folders with.
It took somewhat longer for Mozilla to update Firefox with folder upload support. Thus, older versions of Firefox don’t support folder uploads.
The Folder Upload is not supported by your browser error message pops up when users try uploading folders to Google Drive with some antiquated Firefox versions and browsers that don’t support folder uploads, such as Internet Explorer 11.
Why can’t I drag folders into my browser to upload them?
1. Update the Browser
- Firefox (and even Chrome) users who still see Folder Upload is not supported by your browser error messages need to update their browsers to the latest versions that support folder uploads. Firefox users can update Fox by clicking that browser‘s Open menu button.
- Click Help and select the About Firefox option.
- Firefox will then automatically download the latest update.
- Press the Restart to update Firefox button.
- Alternatively, users can update any browser by uninstalling it and then installing the latest version. To do that, open Run by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Input ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run’s text box and click OK to open the Programs and Features uninstaller.
- Select the browser to remove, and click the Uninstall option.
- Click Yes on any confirmation dialog boxes that pop up.
- Restart Windows after removing the browser.
- Then download the latest browser version from its website.
- Reinstall the browser with its setup wizard.
2. Switch to Google Chrome
Users who browse with Internet Explorer, or another browser that doesn’t support folder uploads, will need to switch to one that does support folder upload.
Google Chrome is probably the best browser to upload folders to cloud storage with. That’s especially the case for Google Drive users as Chrome is more integrated with that cloud storage service. Users can get the latest Chrome version from that software’s website.
3. Upload Folders With Cloud Storage Apps
Alternatively, users can upload folders with cloud storage apps instead of browsers. Google Drive, DropBox, and OneDrive all have apps that sync users’ hard drive storage with cloud storage.
Those apps usually set up a cloud storage folder that users can drag files and folders in File Explorer to upload them. Users can download the syncing apps from their cloud storage websites.
So, users who need to upload folders to cloud storage can certainly do so with update Chrome and Firefox browsers. However, users might need to update those browsers if a folder upload error arises.
Users utilizing Internet Explorer, and perhaps some other browsers, should switch to Chrome, Firefox, or Edge to upload their folders to cloud storage.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: OneDrive Doesn’t Upload Files on Windows 10
- Fix: Can’t Upload Pictures to OneDrive in Windows 10
- 8 best free cloud software for Windows