There are hundreds of millions of websites on the internet and each one has its own user base. All these websites require internet in order to be opened and some amount of data needs to be downloaded in order to display the contents of the site. However, in some cases, you might want to browse a particular website and you might find yourself without an internet connection.
This can be frustrating because most websites don’t offer to save an offline copy of the whole website and in the best case scenario, the site might offer to save a single page for offline reading. This leaves the user with limited options if they want to browse the whole website. Therefore, in this article, we will guide you through a step by step process to download an entire website for offline viewing.
How to Download a Single Page?
It is possible that instead of downloading an entire website, you only want to download a single page. Therefore, in this step, we will be informing you of the method to download a single page of any website. For that:
- Navigate to the page that you want to download.
- On PC, MAC, or Linux right-click on any empty space and click on “Save As“.
- Select the location where you want to save the webpage and double click on the “HTML” file to open it offline.
- On Android and iOS, click on the three dots in the top right corner and select the “Download” button.
- The page will now be downloaded to an offline “HTML” file which can be opened offline at any time.
How to Download a Website?
Since no website allows you to download all of its contents for offline viewing, we will have to use a third-party application to achieve this task. The application and the method might differ depending upon the operating system that you are using but we will try our best to cover all the popular operating systems.
- Download the “WebCopy” application from here.
- Execute the executable to install the application on your computer.
- Launch the application after the installation process finishes.
- Enter the website’s address in the “Website” section and select the location where you want to save the files by clicking on the “Browse” button next to the “Save Folder” section.
- Click on the “Copy” button to start the downloading process.
- Once the download is finished, open the location that you selected in the 4th step and double click on the “index.html” file to open the website offline.
Note: This method applies only to Windows.
For Android and Linux:
- Download the “HTTrack” application from the Play Store.
- The application will automatically be installed on the device.
- Launch the application and click on the “Next” button to create a new project.
- Enter the name for the project in the “Project Name” option and a category in the “Project Category” option.
- Click on the “Storage Path” option and select the folder where you want the website to be downloaded.
- Click on “Next” and enter the “URL” for the website you want to download.
- Click on the “Start” button to start the process.
- Wait for the downloading process to be completed and navigate to the folder you selected in step 5.
- Click on the “Index” file and select the browser you want to open the site in.
Note: The same application and method can be used in PC, Linux, and Android.
For iOS and MAC:
Unfortunately, there aren’t applications available for iOS that do the process for free. The application mentioned below can be bought for 5$ from the apple store and is pretty straight forward to use.
- Download the “SiteSucker” application from the Apple Store.
- The application will automatically be installed after downloading.
- Launch the application and enter the address of the site you want to download in the “URL” box.
- Click on the “Download” button to begin the downloading process.
- Open the index file after the downloading process finishes to view the site offline.