Nexus Mod Manager is an open source program developed by Nexus Mods. The program helps users with modding certain games. A lot of reports have been coming in of users who are unable to launch the games after applying these Mods. The application crashes when launching a game after applying Mods and displays the error “An Exception occurred in the Script“. The error details often vary from user to user due to the different set of configurations on the computer. But in the error message alongside the script details, the permission error can be seen.
What Causes the “Exception Occurred in the Script” Error?
We investigated the error and devised a set of solutions which solved the problem for most users. Also, we looked into the cause of the problem and it is listed as follows:
- Administrative Privileges: In order to apply the mods certain files of the game have to be manipulated. To make these types of changes to an installed application the Nexus Mod Manager requires certain permissions. These Permissions are withheld by the Windows to only to be granted to Administrator approved applications. If Nexus Mod Manager is not granted these permissions this error is triggered.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the nature of the problem we will move on towards the solution.
Granting Administrative Privileges.
In order to apply the mods, certain files of the game have to be manipulated. To make these types of changes to an installed application the Nexus Mod Manager requires certain permissions. These Permissions are withheld by the Windows to only to be granted to Administrator approved applications. Therefore, in this step, we are going to be granting the administrative privileges to the Nexus Mod Manager. For that:
- Open the installation folder of the Nexus Mod Manager.
- Right–click on the “NexusClient.exe” and select “Properties“
- Inside the Properties, click on the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the “Run as Administrator” box.
- Click on “Apply‘ and then on “OK“
- Run the application and check to see if the error persists.