Right here on groovyPost, we speak about Dropbox quite a bit. However about two years in the past, we featured one in every of Dropbox’s most worthy challengers — SugarSync. In our Dropbox vs. SugarSync comparability, we famous that each cloud storage / file sharing apps sported superior desktop and cellular apps, groovy public file sharing capabilities and enticing pricing and referral bonuses. SugarSync had a leg up on Dropbox for its streaming music participant, beneficiant free house (5 GB with a free account) and its simplicity in terms of sharing any folder in your laptop with out shifting it to a particular sync folder. Despite these benefits, I selected to favor Dropbox throughout my 2010 evaluation, largely out of desire. A few of you groovyReaders agreed. However since that evaluation, SugarSync has made a number of enhancements that simply may change your thoughts.
We’ll get into what’s new with SugarSync in a bit. But when this publish does persuade you to present SugarSync a strive, you then’re in luck. This week we’re giving freely three free 30 GB SugarSync accounts. These promo codes offer you a 12 months’s value of SugarSync with a 30 GB account (a $49.99 worth). Learn on to learn how to win.
What’s New in SugarSync?
All the benefits we highlighted in our earlier evaluation stay pluses on the SugarSync facet. However there are some new developments as effectively:
- No file limits on shared recordsdata. One of many downsides of SugarSync identified within the feedback of our earlier publish was the 25 MB file dimension restrict on publicly shared recordsdata. This file dimension restrict for recordsdata shared with a public hyperlink is now historical past. As an alternative, SugarSync has changed the file dimension limitation with a 10 GB day by day bandwidth cap without cost accounts and a 250 GB day by day bandwidth cap for paid customers. This is applicable solely to public hyperlinks and doesn’t have an effect on recordsdata shared with different SugarSync customers.
- Quicker add / obtain speeds. In an replace to my first evaluation, I acknowledged some feedback that complained about sluggish add speeds. In my very own expertise, it took a pair days to add 60 GB (though I didn’t all the time let it run in a single day). On the time, I requested SugarSync in the event that they have been throttling my add speeds, they usually mentioned that they didn’t, although my ISP may be. I introduced up the velocity difficulty once more for this replace they usually mentioned:
We have now made steady networking associated optimizations in each the consumer and on the infrastructure facet which have made an enormous enchancment in add and obtain velocity. We have now additionally made enhancements within the client-side throttling mechanism to make that behave extra in step with consumer expectations primarily based on the controls we current. As well as, there have been quite a few enhancements over the previous 12 months which have elevated the speed at which we deal with differential sync requests, which has a huge impact on efficient add velocity in real-life modifying eventualities. So, sure, we’ve got made a LOT of enhancements that enhance sync velocity and general efficiency over the previous 2 years.
Observe that they do point out a client-side throttling mechanism—that is in reference to the non-compulsory throttling that may be turned on or off in SugarSync’s setings.
- Cellular app enhancements. A lot of enhancements have been included into the SugarSync cellular app. One which I notably like is the power to obtain sure recordsdata to your machine for offline entry. That is much like the Amazon Cloud Participant, which helps you to play songs from the cloud or out of your machine.
A couple of different gadgets value mentioning: once I signed up for my account, there was just about no cap on how a lot referral bonuses you may rack up. Because of the recognition of our SugarSync vs. Dropbox evaluation, I now have about 284 GB of free storage. If you’re simply opening your account, you gained’t be capable to get as fortunate, nonetheless. The utmost quantity of free house you will get by means of referrals with a free account is 32 GB complete. There isn’t any cap for referral bonuses with a paid account. (Dropbox allows you to get 16 GB of referral bonus, which will get added to your regular 2 GB of free house and another non-referral bonuses, like including digital camera add. I haven’t achieved the maths, however I believe that comes out to a little bit over 20 GB of probably free Dropbox house.)
Additionally, one factor that I like about Dropbox is the LAN Sync functionality, which makes syncing recordsdata between computer systems on the identical native space community sooner by skipping the Web and going straight by means of your LAN. SugarSync doesn’t have this, however it’s on the roadmap. Per a SugarSync rep: “We don’t at the moment have LAN Sync performance, however that is at the moment on our product improvement roadmap, so we may have it sooner or later. We don’t have a agency date of availability for this characteristic but, although.”
Prepared to present SugarSync a strive? Right here’s the best way to win:
Enter the Free 30 GB SugarSync Account Giveaway!
Profitable a free 30 GB SugarSync account is straightforward. Simply comply with these steps:
1. Tweet the primary purpose why you need to strive SugarSync. You should definitely embrace a hyperlink to this text so your tweet reveals up within the Reactions tab in our feedback part under. Use the tweet button on the left to verify your tweet will get tracked correctly.
2. End Step 1 earlier than August 26th, 5:00PM PDT. We’ll select three winners at random from the eligible entries.
3. Examine this publish once more on Monday, August 27th to see in the event you’re a winner. We’ll announce the three winners and provides directions for redeeming your prize in an replace to this publish.